Sunday, June 20, 2010

Devlin and the sugar cube.

Throughout my 3 years with Devlin, I have come across times when he needs a little more positive reinforcement than normal to tackle things. Since Devlin is very sweet, smart and honest, I have decided to use a treat in addition to pats and talking to him. This is where the sugar cube comes in!

When I first purchased him as a 4 year old, he would fidget when I mounted. I really wanted him to stand still while mounting and adjusting myself before walking off. So, I decided to give him a sugar cube after I got on and was adjusted and then would let him walk off. I think after about 3-4 times, Devlin had it figured out, "Stand still for mom and I get a sugar". It is now at the point where I get on and if I ask him to walk off without a sugar, he won't move. It's like his feet are almost glued! (Although he will move after a little nudge.) Everyday I make sure I have sugar with me for my ride because after all we would like to leave the mounting block area!

No comments:

Post a Comment